Friday, April 25, 2014

The AoA for Corelia del Castello de Santo Pietro

When our signet clerk ask me if I would like to do the scroll for Corelia's AoA, I had just met her. As the two of us hit it off from the start I was happy to do the scroll. Eventhough I try to do my best with each and every piece of Art I do, making it for someone I personally know makes it always this little bit more special.
Luckily I had a good amount of time to do the scroll as the award would be given out to her at "Art's in April" this year and so I just needed to find a reference piece which style she would like. As I could not ask her for preferences (because of the award being a surprise) I thought of the talks we had and remembered her talking about the persona she chose for herself. It's one of italian background from the 14th century currently living in Germany. She herself is becoming a scribal artist, that needed to be part of the scroll. During my research I found the following picture and this was it for me:


It's a page from the prayer book of Pop Klemens VII (fol.55; size: 14,6 x 11cm; text size: 8,3 x 5cm) done around 1380, showing a Bishop scribing. Now I just needed to femalize the Bishop and the piece would be perfect for her.

I started by drawing out the layout of the scroll (text lines, painting frame and border lines). And then adding the border leaves, wine and knotwork.

Next was inking the pencile drawing, so I would not have to worry about getting pencil stains all over the scroll. Then I started drawing the painting and femalizing the Bishop. Therefor I looked at several pictures of women and finaly decided on using one with a vail.




For the text I decided on my version of the batarde using gall-nut ink.

The next step, applying the gold paint, was a bit tricky. The gold paint sometimes forms these little lumps due to the gold pieces it contains. Because of that characteristic it can be hard to paint a nice even layer. Once a lump formed I used water to even it out, let it dry and applyed another layer of gold paint on top of it, this way I got the result I was looking for.


For the painting itself I use red ink to get rid of the pencil lines. I feared using gall-nut ink would make it hard to paint over without the black showing through.


As the painting would challange me, taking all the skills I have learned so far, it would also take most of the time. That's why I started on coloring and shading before I started on the border.



For the background of the painting or wall paper, I finaly got to try the gold ink I bought from my art supplier (boesner) and it worked beautifuly once I found my patience.
The gold pieces will sink over time to the bottom of the ink bottle. So I had to stire the ink before I could use it.
The brush I used was size 00, next time I will have to try an even smaller one for finer lines. I also tried my pointiest nip, but the result was not as good as using the brush.



 After I filled in all the main colors the shading began and once again I find it is the final touch that seals the look. As we say in German " Es ist das I-Tüpfelchen"- the icing on the cake! With the following pictures I want to show you the result in artificial and natural light...


Details of the scroll:
the painting

the keys


 the head of the Pop


 the bottom knotwork including space for the Arms


 This scroll is ment for a friend. Its tried my patience and my skill and went through all the stages a piece of art goes through (exciting in the beginning, trying, promising beauty, being ugly as hell and finaly shining like a polished gold button). I learned a lot doing it and am happy to be able to share it.


2 comments:

  1. Hello! I've been following your blog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from King wood Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!...Cccam Server

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I did not expect this and it is awsome to read!!! you just put a big smile on my face!

      Delete