Friday, June 6, 2014

Mistress Bridget's Sigilum Coronae and Baron Marcus' Court Barony

For this years Double Wars (XXVII) I had finaly the chance to make a scroll not only for my Laural Mistress Bridget Greywolf but also for her husband Baron Marcus von Stormarn. As they are both very important people to me I was thrilled and horrified at the same time!
First of all I had only 3 weekends time to actualy do the work (due to my personal time schedule) and second my Laural is an awesome scribe. So she and her husband do know the difference between good and great scribal work! (No pressure there, right?!)

Nevertheless I knew pretty fast what kind of style I wanted to use for both awards and when I finaly got my head straight (thank you Mama B for that, eventhough I could not say the whole truth) I realy enjoyed doing both of them.

Here the pictures:
 
Baron Marcus Court Barony
 
 
source: patent of nobility Ferdinand I to Johann Ulrich Rabenstein, 1570 - the original for M S Court Barony
I found the picture of the above patent on pinterest while looking for inspiration. This is a large letter and as I wanted to do something flashy for Marcus it was a perfect example for using gold ink and had these breathtaking flourishings and Cadels.


The size of the scroll is A5 and it was the first scroll I used parchment for. I had excersized the flourishings and scribt using pergamenata. The excersizes did not turn out as good as I hoped and I was worried about the result on the parchment. Fortunatly I was positivly surprised by how well I could write on the parchment as it is realy well prepared. Still the gold ink I use is to thick for small letters. But my Laural already promised me a solution that she will show me the next time I visit her.

 Adding the flourishings was fun but takes a lot of practise to get the even spaces. As you can see I still have ways to go! I also realized to achive the beautiful look of the patent I will have to actualy gild the Capitals using gesso and gold ink.

And here the final result. I added some shadows using black ink to get the important parts to pop out!

Mistress Bridget Greywolf's Sigilum Coronae
 

source: Henry VIII, 1514, Coram Rege Rolls. National Archives Reference: KB 27/1012, researched on pinterest
While I was researching Marcus' scroll I also found several pictures of Coram Rege Rolls and I knew that needed to be used for my Laurals scroll. I found one example that fitted almost perfectly.

 
Looking at some of the techniques my fellow scribes shared online. I decided using the pencil-copy technique, due to the shortness of time I faced. The biggest disadventage in this case is the pencil stains you get on the parchment. Luckily I could rub them off! 

The nib I used to ink the capitals and to write the text is actualy not as big as it could have been but I found a solution for it (gold ink... see later pics).

The Sigilum Coronae is a very personal award from the King and the Queen (it can be also given as a single award from either King or the Queen). In this case the Queen Cecilia ask me to include some personal symbols, the Ax of King Prothal and the doll "Bridget in a Box". Both having special meaning between their majesties and Mistress Bridget. I also decided using the wolf (part of Mistress Bridget's device) to symbolize her as the person receiving the award.

 
Once I was finished with the writing I lookd at the scroll and it didn't look right to me... too much white space in the capitals. So I decided to add gold ink to make it pop.

 
And here the final result!


 
For my Laurals Sigilum Coronae I also used an A5 sized parchment page, Iron-gall ink, gold ink and gouche for the colors.
 
My final comments: I realy want to experiment more with cadels, flourishing and gold ink. So I'm hoping for a scroll project with more time to get it done!
Real parchment is so great to work with (at least the one I bought from my german producer http://www.pergament-trommelfell.de/). Need to use it more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment